Summer is the season of endless possibilities, and for cycling enthusiasts, it's the perfect time to hit the road and explore new cycling terrains. But if you're looking for a bit of added excitement this summer, there are plenty of cycling events and races that are sure to get your heart pumping.
Whether you're a competitive cyclist or just love watching from the sidelines, here are some must-watch cycling events happening this summer that will leave you breathless with adrenaline and awe. So get your mountain bike or road bike and put on your spandex shorts, grab your bike helmet, and let's take a ride through some of the most exciting cycling competitions this season has in store!
Overview of Cycling Events Throughout the U.S.
If you're looking for a challenge this summer cycling, or just want to watch some of the best cyclists in the country, check out these events. From coast to coast, there are races suited for all levels of cyclist.
The first stop on our list is the East Coast. The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) has several sanctioned cycling events in the U.S., including the Tour of Missouri and the Philadelphia International Championship. The Tour of Missouri is a eight-day stage race that takes place in late September. The Philadelphia International Championship is a one-day race held in early June.
The UCI also sanctions the Mountain Bike World Cup, which stops in Windham, New York in early August. This event features some of the best mountain bikers in the world competing on a course that includes dirt jumps and technical singletrack sections.
Moving west, we come to Colorado, home of some of the most iconic cycling events in America. The first stop is the USA Pro Challenge, a seven-stage race that covers over 600 miles and climbs more than 50,000 feet. This race takes place in mid-August and attracts some of the biggest names in cycling.
Another big event in Colorado is the Leadville Trail 100 MTB, held in late August. This event is not for the faint of heart; it's 100 miles of off-road riding at high altitude with over 12,000 feet of climbing.
The south also has some great cycling events. The Tour de Georgia is a six-day stage race that takes place in mid-April, and the elite and amateur cyclists brave the grueling terrain of the Appalachian Mountains for the toughest competition of their careers.
Finally, we come to Austin, Texas for the USA CRITS Speed Week. This event is a three-week long race series from April to June featuring some of America's best criterium racers.
No matter what kind of cyclist you are or what part of the country you're in, there are cycling events perfect for your needs. Whether it's a flat ride around town or an epic mountain bike endurance event, there's something for everyone. So this summer, get out and watch or participate in one of these amazing races!
Major Cycling Events and Races to Watch Out for This Summer
1. The Tour de France is one of the most prestigious cycling events in the world and takes place every July. This year’s race will run from July 1-23 and will cover a total of 3,500 kilometers.
2. The Giro d’Italia is another top international race that takes place in May/June each year. This year’s cycling events run from May 5-28, covering a distance of 3,481 kilometers.
3. The Vuelta a Espana is Spain’s biggest cycling race and runs for three weeks in August/September each year. This year’s edition will take place from August 24 – September 16 and will cover 3,272 kilometers.
4. The Criterium du Dauphine is a French stage race that takes place in early June each year and often serves as a build-up event for riders targeting the Tour de France. This year’s edition will be held from June 2-9 and will cover a distance of 1,035 kilometers.
5. The Tour de Suisse is another important cycling events stage race that takes place in Switzerland in late June/early July each year. This year it will run from June 16-24 and covers 1,247 kilometers.
6. The Tour of California is a popular race held in the US each summer and takes place over nine stages (May 12-19) with a total distance of 1,184 kilometers.
7. The Tour of Flanders is a one-day race held in Belgium each April and consists of a grueling 256-kilometer route. This year’s edition will take place on April 7th.8. The Paris-Roubaix is a cobbled classic race that takes place in France each April, covering 257 kilometers starting from Compiégne and finishing at Roubaix velodrome. The 2018 edition takes place on April 8th.
Benefits of Participating in Cycling Races
The benefits of participating in cycling races are many and varied. For some, it’s the challenge of competition and the thrill of crossing the finish line first. For others, it’s the camaraderie of being part of a team or club, and the opportunity to travel to new places and see the world from the saddle of a bike.
Whatever your motivation, racing can be a great way to improve your fitness and riding skills, and meet like-minded people who share your passion for cycling. Here are some more reasons to give racing a go:
• It’s good for your health: Cycling is a low-impact form of exercise that is gentle on the joints and can be enjoyed by people of all ages and fitness levels. Regular riding can help to reduce stress levels, improve cardiovascular fitness and lower blood pressure.
• It’s good for your mind: As well as providing an excellent workout for your body, cycling also gives you time to clear your head and de-stress from everyday life. Being out in nature and getting regular exercise can help to boost your mood and mental wellbeing.
• It’s good for your wallet: Racing can be an expensive sport, but there are ways to keep costs down. If you’re just starting out, you could look for local events that don’t require an entry fee, or sign up for a subscription with a race organizer such as Zw ift, who offer discounted rates for multiple tournaments.
• It’s good for the environment: Cycling has zero emissions, and participating in races can help to reduce your carbon footprint. Racing also helps to promote more bicycle-friendly cities and introduce sustainable methods of transport.
• It’s great for socializing: Racing can be a great way to meet new people, as many races are organized in teams or clubs. You may even find yourself forming lasting friendships with fellow cyclists, and you could inspire others to take up the sport too!
From making friends and improving your health, to pushing yourself to the next level and having fun, there are many reasons why participating in cycling races can be so rewarding. So if you’re up for a challenge, why not go for it?
With so many exciting cycling events and races taking place this summer, there's something for everyone.
Whether you're an avid cyclist looking to take part in a challenging race or just an enthusiast who wants to watch some of the best riders in action, there's no shortage of incredible racing opportunities to enjoy.
So make sure you mark your calendar with all these amazing events and get ready for a summer full of thrilling cycling experiences!